COK Parish History
As early as 1922 a chapel was erected and dedicated to Our Lord under the title of the Sacred Heart of Jesus at 735 Pitt Street in Mount Pleasant. This was a Mission of Stella Maris Church on Sullivan's Island.
In the 1950's the present site was chosen for a parachial school, and a hall was built to serve as a Chapel under the title of Christ Our King by the Reverend Monsignor Laurence McLaughlin, pastor of Stella Maris Church. This Chapel continued to be a mission of Stella Maris until 1971 when the most Reverend Ernest L. Unterkoefler, Bishop of Charleston, established Christ Out King as a parish.
The school became known as Christ Our King-Stella Maris School, and the Reverend Robert J. Kelley was appointed the first pastor on July 15, 1971. Reverend Herbert K. Conner, S.J., was appointed on June 15, 1977, and the present pastor, the Reverend Monsignor James A. Carter, was appointed on June 15, 1989. From 50 families in the days of the Sacred Heart Chapel. the parish of Christ Our King now numbers nearly 1800 families.
The present church was completed during the week of December 8, 1979, and the first Masses offered in the church took place on the weekend of December 14 & 15, Gaudete Sunday.
|The rectory and parish offices were added in 1982.|
The Way of The Cross Park was constructed after the devastation of Hurricane Hugo in the fall of 1989. This lovely meditation garden and adjacent picnic area are open to all parishoners.
The Catholic Community Life Center was opened in 2003, and serves the parishes of Christ Our King, Stella Maris, and Saint Benedict.